Here’s what we know:
- The intake of animals into shelters each year is 8 million animals – half of which never make it out and are euthanized.
That’s over 4 million animals, beautiful dogs and cats, puppies and kittens, being put to sleep each year – often in unspeakable ways.
- The total capacity of every dog and cat shelter in the US is only 500,000 animals.
- The average monthly cost for a shelter to feed a dog is $80 and for a cat $40.
- It costs an estimated $2 billion dollars yearly to round up, house, feed, kill and dispose of homeless animals.
- Dogs and cats need about 1.9 million pounds of food in shelters alone per year.
- There are 61 shelters on Long Island alone with an even greater number of adoption centers and fosters in addition to that.
America has a problem with how we care for our animals.
It’s time for an upgrade to find solutions to these problems.